MOHA to review the cancellation of Tun M – Nazri debate – DPM

The Ministry of Home Affairs (MOHA) will review the permit cancellation of the open debate between Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad and Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz, which has been cancelled twice.

0
787
Deputy Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi speaks during a visit to the International Modern Arabic School in Putrajaya. PIX: SAFWAN MANSOR, 04 APRIL 2017

By Muhammad Azizul Osman

PUTRAJAYA – The Ministry of Home Affairs (MOHA) will review the permit cancellation of the open debate between Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad and Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz, which has been cancelled twice.

Deputy Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Zahid Hamidi said that the revocation has nothing to do with the government.

“I will reevaluate the justifications given by the authorities towards the revocation.

“That was neither my, nor the Prime Minister’s decision. It was the jurisdiction of the authorities in Selangor and Perak,” he said when approached by the media today, in Putrajaya.

Ahmad Zahid was here for a programme at the International Modern Arabic School in Putrajaya.

Last Saturday, the Selangor police revoked a permit which was previously approved for the scheduled debate at headquarter of Karangkraf in Shah Alam on 7 April.

Before this, the debate that should have took place in Kuala Kangsar on 25 March too, was rejected by the Perak police based on the same justification.

“The debate between Tun Dr. Mahathir and Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz; the decision to cancel the debate in Kuala Kangsar and Shah Alam were decisions made solely by the Chief Police of Selangor and the Perak acting police chief. It was an operational decision and it was not referred to me as the Minister of Home Affairs, nor the Prime Minister,” he said.

The cancellation of the open debate received negative reactions from both Mahathir, now the Chairman of Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia and Nazri who is also the Minister of Tourism and Culture.

Mahathir cynically joked that the police’s decision in revoking the permit between him and Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz was due to the complaints by the local residents.

Nazri was displeased with the second cancellation and said that the debate should be held overseas.

“Maybe we can have it in London or Greenland, Antarctica perhaps. We can have it with no problem anytime.

“If we cannot do it in Malaysia, we will do it in Antarctica. There are only penguins there.

“They understand neither Malay nor English, it won’t cause any commotions there,” Nazri sneered at the Dewan Rakyat yesterday evening.

Ahmad Zahid also said that if there is a need for the debate to be carried on, MOHA will instruct for the debate to be approved.

“If the debate needs to be carried on, MOHA will instruct the police to grant the permit. They did not present the reasons for cancellation to the public,” he said. -MalaysiaGazette

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here