Former RTD Deputy-DG pleads not guilty

Former RTD Deputy Director-General Datuk Yusoff Ayob, who was fined RM600 last week for driving on an emergency lane, was charged again for the same offence.

Former Deputy Director-General of Road Transport Department (RTD) Datuk Yusoff Ayob exits the Magistrate Court after pleading not guilty for driving on an emergency lane of Lingkaran Putrajaya on 7 October last year. PIX: BERNAMA (2017)

PUTRAJAYA – Former Road Transport Department (RTD) Deputy Director-General of Planning and Operations Datuk Yusoff Ayob, who was fined RM600 last week for driving on an emergency lane, was charged again at the Magistrate’s Court here today for the same offence.

Yusoff, 58, who has been transferred to the Public Service Department (PSD) last Friday, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

He was charged with driving a car, with registration number “BLY 68” on an emergency lane, which is an offence under Rule 53(1) of the Road Traffic Rules 1959, at Lingkaran Putrajaya here at 6.27 p.m. on 7 October last year.

Yusoff was first charged with the offence last July 18, but he was not in court then. Instead, he sent a special aide to represent him and the aide pleaded guilty to the charge.

The charge was made under Section 119(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987, which provides a fine of up to RM2,000, or imprisonment for up to six months, or both, if found guilty.

At today’s proceeding, lawyer Datuk Baljit Singh Sidhu, representing Yusoff, said he would send a representation on the charge made against his client to the Attorney-General’s Chambers and also requested the prosecution to provide the necessary documents on the case to the defence in accordance with Section 51A of the Criminal Procedure Code.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Muhammad Izzat Fauzan, who prosecuted, told the court that the prosecution would submit the document before the hearing and that they would need a month to get feedback on the representation.

Magistrate Syahrul Sazly Md Sain fixed 21 August for mention. No bail was offered as it is a summon case.

Meanwhile, the RM600 fine payment was returned to Yusoff, who then left the court room with his lawyer.

Baljit Singh said there was some confusion and Yusoff also did not seek legal advice on the case, when asked by reporters the reason his client did not attend the court proceeding last week.

There was an outcry over the case following reports that Yusoff did not attend the court proceeding and had sent his special aide to plead guilty on his behalf and was fined RM600 for the offence by Magistrate Nik Isfahanie Tasnim Wan Ab Rahman.

The special officer paid the fine.

However, last Friday (21 July), the Kuala Lumpur High Court ordered the case to be remitted to the Magistrate’s Court and for Yusoff to make the plea against the charge himself.
Judicial Commissioner Datuk Indera Ab Karim Ab Rahman, using his revisionary powers as a judge to review the case against Yusoff, also set aside the fine and ordered the case to be heard by a new magistrate. -MalaysiaGazette


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here