KUALA LUMPUR – Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng said that the Cabinet will discuss on the proposal to takeover the highway concessionaire, PLUS Malaysia Berhad (PLUS).
However, he did not reveal details on the matter.
“We discussed about PLUS but let us announce that in a written statement.
“Please wait for the written statement. It will be issued,” he said without providing details on the issuance date during a news conference after handing over a cheque amounting to RM100 million to the Malaysian Islamic Development Department (JAKIM) to be used for tahfiz schools, religious schools and sekolah pondok.
Last Monday, Guan Eng said that the proposal for the takeover of PLUS and four highway related to Gamuda Berhad in the Klang Valley would be discussed in the Cabinet meeting today.
He said, an announcement would be made after it is discussed in the Cabinet.
“Wait for the announcement. I cannot make spontaneous announcement as it is an important announcement. It should be based on written statement,” he told the journalists.
In December last year, Minister of Works Baru Bian was reportedly saying that the Cabinet had instructed the PLUS Highway concession takeover to be presented again.
PLUS is jointly owned by UEM Group (UEM) and the Employees Provident Fund (EPF). UEM is a subsidiary of Khazanah Nasional Bhd (Khazanah).
UEM and Khazanah collectively own 51 percent of PLUS’s stake.
Meanwhile, the four highways related to Gamuda are namely the Shah Alam Expressway (KESAS), the Damansara-Puchong Expressway (LD), the Sprint Highway and the Smart Tunnel. -MalaysiaGazette