Covid-19 positive trend is expected to continue

1
871
Healthcare worker from the Ministry of Health conducts health screening on foreign workers to prevent the spread of Covid-19 during the Movement Control Order at the Kuala Lumpur Wholesale Market. PIX: HAZROL ZAINAL / MalaysiaGazette / 24 MARCH 2020.
Healthcare worker from the Ministry of Health conducts health screening on foreign workers to prevent the spread of Covid-19 during the Movement Control Order at the Kuala Lumpur Wholesale Market. PIX: HAZROL ZAINAL / MalaysiaGazette / 24 MARCH 2020.

By Norlaile Abd Rahman

KUALA LUMPUR – The National Security Council had projected that the Covid-19 positive cases will increase if the government does not take immediate action.

Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said, although the new cases had flattened slightly, there are new Covid-19 positive cases being recorded daily.

He said, Malaysians cannot be satisfied before the new Covid-19 cases reach zero.

As of 12pm today, the Covid-19 positive cases have rose to 1,796 cases, twice the cases recorded last week at 673.

Today, a total of 172 new cases were recorded.

“The government expects new cases to continue to be recorded now. Therefore, the Ministry of Health had made the necessary preparations.

“This includes, preparing 3,585 beds in 34 hospitals nationwide to receive Covid-19 patients.

“34 percent of the bed capacity in the hospitals have been utilised now, with the remaining 66 percent which can hold patients.

“If the Covid-19 positive cases increase more than the existing capacity of the hospitals, several places have been identified as a temporary isolation and quarantine centre.

“Continuous efforts will be made to prevent the spread of Covid-19 until we can truly contain the outbreak by fully breaking the chain of infection,” he said during a special address broadcasted live on national television today.

With that, Muhyiddin also announced the government’s decision to extend the Movement Control Order (MCO) until 14 April. The MCO was supposed to end on 30 March.

“I was briefed by the Ministry of Health and the National Security Council. The current trend still shows new Covid-19 positive cases.

“The trend is expected to continue for a while before the number of new cases start to drop.

“This demands the government to continue with the MCO for a longer period,” he added.

Muhyiddin also advised the public to be ready mentally and physically in facing the extension of MCO. -MalaysiaGazette

Read More:

Movement Control Order extended to 14 April

Movement restriction from 18 – 31 March

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Comment moderation is enabled. Your comment may take some time to appear.