WASHINGTON, DC - SEPTEMBER 03: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during holds a bilateral meeting with Polish President Karol Nawrocki in the in the Oval Office at the White House on September 3, 2025 in Washington, DC. Photo AFP

 

WASHINGTON – The United States plans to end long-running military assistance for European countries close to Russia, as President Donald Trump’s administration pushes the continent to play a greater role in its own defense, media reports said Thursday.

The Washington Post quoted six people familiar with the matter as confirming the move, which the newspaper said would impact hundreds of millions of dollars in aid aimed at bolstering defenses against Russia.

The Financial Times also reported the news, saying US officials informed European diplomats last week about Washington’s decision to halt funding for programs to train and equip eastern European militaries along Russia’s border.

A White House official pointed to a January executive order by Trump on the reevaluation of US foreign aid but did not confirm specifics of the decision to cut security assistance.

“This action has been coordinated with European countries in line with the executive order and the president’s longstanding emphasis on ensuring Europe takes more responsibility for its own defense,” the official said on condition of anonymity.

The decision to curb assistance for countries located near Russia comes as Trump struggles to end Moscow’s three-and-a-half-year invasion of Ukraine.

Trump has long been skeptical of both US defense spending in Europe and aid for Ukraine, pushing some of Washington’s closest allies to play a greater role on both fronts. – AFP

IKUTI KAMI DI MEDIA SOSIAL

Facebook : Malaysia Gazette
X : @malaysiagazette
Instagram : @malaysiagazette
Youtube MG : MalaysiaGazette TV
Youtube MGFlash : MG Flash
TikTok : Malaysia Gazette
Threads : Malaysia Gazette
Whatsapp Channel : Malaysia Gazette
Telegram : Malaysia Gazette
Spotify : MG Podcast