(FILES) This photograph shows "Collier et boucles d'oreilles de la parure d’émeraudes de l'impératrice Marie-Louise" (necklace and earrings of the set of jewelry of Empress Marie-Louise) displayed at Apollon's Gallery on January 14, 2020 at the Louvre museum in Paris after the reopening of the Gallery following ten months of renovations. Photo by AFP

PARIS – Several suspects arrested this week over an audacious jewel heist at the Louvre museum appeared before magistrates at a Paris court on Saturday, prosecutors told AFP.

The Paris public prosecutor’s office did not specify the number of suspects brought before the court.

Last month, thieves wielding power tools raided the Louvre, the world’s most visited art museum, in broad daylight, taking just seven minutes to steal jewellery worth an estimated $102 million.

French authorities initially announced the arrest of two suspects, and this week prosecutors said that police had arrested five more people, including a prime suspect.

The five detentions took place in and around the French capital, particularly in the northern suburb of Seine-Saint-Denis.

The first two men were charged with theft and criminal conspiracy after “partially admitting to the charges”, Paris prosecutor Laure Beccuau said on Wednesday.

They are suspected of being the two who broke into the gallery while two accomplices waited outside.

The stolen loot remains missing. – AFP

IKUTI KAMI DI MEDIA SOSIAL

Facebook : Malaysia Gazette
X : @malaysiagazette
Instagram : @malaysiagazette
Youtube MG : MalaysiaGazette TV
Youtube MGFlash : MG Flash
TikTok : Malaysia Gazette
Threads : Malaysia Gazette
Whatsapp Channel : Malaysia Gazette
Telegram : Malaysia Gazette
Spotify : MG Podcast