MAKKAH – All Malaysian haj pilgrims will depart from Jeddah and are expected to return to the country starting July 17, said Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Religious Affairs), Datuk Idris Ahmad.
He said that the last fight was expected on Aug 12 after they visited Madinah.
“I wish to congratulate the TH management for their excellent handling of Malaysian haj pilgrims,” he told reporters today.
Idris said that at the end of the haj season this year, TH will continue to make preparations for the 2023 haj season, and he was confident that the agency would continue to improve services for the benefit of the pilgrims.
“I met the Saudi Arabian Haj and Umrah Minister, Dr Tawfiq Fawzan Al-Rabiah, last week, and shared the pilgrims’ and TH concerns over the increase in the cost of performing haj.
“The cost of performing haj this year, which was initially estimated at RM25,540, has increased to RM28,000 per person.”
Idris said that he was also concerned over global inflation, especially in matters of pilgrimage, and that TH must accept the reality of the increase in costs that occurs every year.
At the same time, he added that TH must find ways so that the haj fees would not burden the prospective Malaysian pilgrims.
“We will continue with financial assistance for prospective pilgrims in need. For those who can afford it, I suggest they pay the full cost or choose a private package,” he said.